How does it work and can Bowen help me
The Bowen technique is a dynamic, extremely gentle remedial therapy, which stimulates the body to re-balance itself and empowers its own healing resources, which achieves a balance and harmony.
Bowen is a modality of self-healing of a gentle but powerful soft tissue mobilization that affects the body both structurally and energetically. It is a lubricant free bodywork technique, painless and non-invasive and safe to use on anyone from the newborn to the elderly and provides lasting relief from a wide variety of acute, chronic, sports injury or organic complaints.
A light cross-fibre manoeuvring of a muscle, tendon, nerves or ligament, is applied to each site of the body, interrupted by 2-5 minute waiting periods that allows the body to re-hydrate.
The precise location of the Bowen moves correlate markedly with the latest research into Meridian energy system, acupoints and myofascial trigger point theory.
Since Bowen therapy promotes changes in tissue hydration it is imperative that clients drink sufficient water in order to meet changing body demand. Our body is made up of 70-80% of water, and so is our planet. We cannot live without water for too long. It’s the medication our body cries out for when it is stressed.
Bowen balances and creates a “Window of Opportunity” to the physical, mental and emotional planes. Its rejuvenating effect empowers the quality of lives. It improves circulation, lymphatic and venous draining, assimilation of nutrients and elimination of toxins, joint mobility, posture clearance of dysfunctional debris and normalisation of cellular physiology and tissue integrity.
The Bowen Technique does not seek to treat specific condition or disease but rather to gently stimulate the body to heal itself. The following list of diagnosed conditions comes from claims of patients worldwide that found relief from such conditions. The policy of the Bowen Therapy Federation of Australia is to seek medical opinion whenever necessary.
- Musculo skeletal conditions of the spine and limbs: acute or chronic, post traumatic or post surgery or from a more arthritic origin (lumbar, thoracic, cervical pain and related muscle spasms and loss of mobility).
- Sports injuries: ankle, shin splints, runner knees, adductor and hamstring strain, rotator cuff injuries, tennis elbows....
- Pelvic imbalances: tilt, leg length, hip pain and imbalance, inguinal and groin pain.
- Frozen shoulder: capsulitis, rotator cuff, arthritis.
- Whiplash from car accidents: receiving Bowen treatment immediately following accident will greatly speed recovery.
- Sacro iliac pain and imbalances: post traumatic or related to pregnancy.
- Coccyx pain: from trauma or after giving birth.
- Migraine/headaches from stress and tension, structural and postural imbalance or digestive origin.
- Hamstrings: tension, stiffness and strain.
- Pregnancy: before (to help the body go through all its changes and help prepare for the labour), during (to assist labour) and after for both mother (quicker recovery) and baby (crankiness, colic, projectile vomiting...)
- TMJ: pain and tension in the jaw.
- Knee pain: meniscus, strain.
- Ankle: strain, sprain.
- Elbow: related to tennis, golf or computer use.
- Sterno costal pain from sprung or cracked rib.
- Herniated disks
- Chronic pain syndrome, Fibromyalgia...
- Menstrual pain, irregular cycle, PMS.
- Breast pain: related to PMS, mastitis, irregular milk supply.
- Carpal tunnel and Repetitive stress injury.
- Digestive problems: constipation, diarrhoea, liver/gall bladder congestion and pain
- Respiratory conditions: Asthma, hay fever allergies, emphysema, cold & flu, sinus congestion. A Bowen treatment at the first signs of a cold can very often stop it.
- Kidney: water retention, stone, assist kidney function.
- Foot pain: Hammertoes, hallux valgus (bunion), plantar fasciitis...
- Incontinence (adult)
- Infertility: male or female
- Scoliosis and kyphosis pain.
- Neurological conditions: Bell's palsy, cerebral palsy, polio, stroke, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson, torticollis, multiple sclerosis...... these conditions over repeated series of sessions will respond to varying degree depending on severity. Often patients have showed gradual improvement of their condition and of their quality of life.
- Heart conditions: chest pain, angina...
- Detox from drugs: clients sometimes detoxifying even after years of not using any drug.
Note: Often patients come to the Bowen Therapy after having tried many other modalities to no avail. If a patient has not responded to other forms of therapy, it is always worth giving the Bowen Technique a try as it has shown to trigger in many patients sometimes surprising and unexpected recovery when noting else had worked.